Voorhees, NJ - June 28, 2007
American Water, the largest water services provider in North America, is proud to announce the receipt of 17 Five-Year Directors Awards of Recognition from the Partnership for Safe Water this year for maintaining Phase III certification. The Partnership is a voluntary initiative developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and other water organizations to recognize water suppliers that consistently achieve water treatment standards that surpass EPA regulatory requirements. The awards were presented at the Utility Quality Programs Luncheon on June 25 at the Sheraton Centre Hotel in Toronto, Canada.
Steve Schmitt, Vice President of Operational Services for American Water, said "Our employees are committed to delivering the best water quality possible to our customers. We're pleased to achieve this recognition from the Partnership as a testament to our dedication to operational excellence."
Schmitt continued, "To be eligible for the awards, our operations had to surpass current treatment standards and continually maintain this level of performance for more than five years; the number of American Water systems achieving this award is quite an accomplishment."
Matt Corson, Manager of Environmental Compliance and Stewardship for American Water noted, "The fact that American Water accounts for over 40 percent of all surface water treatment plants that have maintained Phase III status for at least five years demonstrates our commitment to water quality and protection against microbial contaminants such as Cryptosporidium."
The following American Water treatment plants have received the 2007 Directors Award:
Illinois American Water
- Illinois River Treatment Plant- Peoria, Illinois
Indiana American Water
- Kokomo Treatment Plant- Kokomo, Indiana
- Ogden Dunes Treatment Plant- Portage, Indiana
- Middle Fork Treatment Plant- Richmond, Indiana
- Borman Park Treatment Plant- Gary, Indiana
- Richmond Main Station Treatment Plant- Richmond, Indiana
Missouri American Water
- Joplin Blendville Treatment Plant- Joplin, Missouri
- South Water Treatment Plant- St. Louis, Missouri
- Meramec Treatment Plant- St. Louis, Missouri
- Central Water Treatment Plant- St. Louis, Missouri
- North Water Treatment Plant- St. Louis, Missouri
New Jersey American Water
- Canal Road Treatment Plant- Somerset, New Jersey
Ohio American Water
- Marion Treatment Plant- Marion, Ohio
- Ashtabula Treatment Plant- Ashtabula, Ohio
West Virginia American Water
- West Fork Regional Water Treatment Plant- Weston, West Virginia
- Gassaway Water Treatment Plant- Gassaway, West Virginia
- Bluestone Water Treatment Plant- True, West Virginia
As a member of the Partnership for Safe Water, American Water demonstrates its commitment to voluntarily providing drinking water of a quality better than is required by federal standards. Out of American Water's more than 80 surface water treatment plants, over 75 percent of the facilities have received Phase III certification in the ongoing program. The water system in Evansville, Indiana, which is managed and operated by American Water, is also a recipient of the Directors Award.
With headquarters in Voorhees, NJ, American Water employs approximately 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide high-quality water, wastewater and other related services to about 17 million people in 29 states and Canada.